Friday, January 1, 2016

Official Results In!



Some people dream of seeing their name in lights. I'm happy spotting mine in a long list of names, times, splits, age group placement... I enjoyed participating in this race. 5K is a nice distance. Finishing in 31.43 minutes with 10.13 minute miles was something I could not even dream of doing. I'm glad I pushed myself!

The last thing J told me when I was leaving home this morning was to go at my own pace. This kept ringing in my head as the race started and I found myself running in the middle of a pack that was going faster than I wanted to go. My first 1/2 mile was at a 9 minute mile pace. I found my stride after that first half mile, and concentrated on my audio book and not on the run itself.

It was exciting to catch a glimpse of the fastest runners turn the corners at lighting speed wearing just skimpy shorts and wife-beaters, while the rest of us had layers of cold weather gear from head to toe. I ran most of the race behind a girl who could not have been much older than 6. I lost sight of her with only 1/2 mile to go, she must have stopped for water or to wait for the rest of her family, because she could definitely outrun me.

I was not expecting such a level of organization for this tiny race. They did not even take online registrations. You just showed up, filled a very simple form and got your number and your chip when you paid ten bucks. There were volunteers everywhere, and a mountain of post-race free snacks.

What a great way to start this 2016, a year were I'm trying to become a runner. I hope I can remain injury free and strong. Placing 293 of 508 finishers, 100 of 244 women and 12 out of 27 in my age group is a personal victory that I celebrated by taking a nap after I returned home.

There will be more 5K. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so darn proud of you! You and Dulles make me happy!

    ReplyDelete